Saturday 14 June 2008

Last 100+ ride before the event...

Tim has been in Bristol all week, we had tentative plans for an early ride on Saturday morning, but nothing confirmed. Last night Tim said he couldn'tdo an early start, so I made the decision to just get out early anyway.

I had planned a route out West towards Berkhamsted to do a hill Rich recommended, so I set off on a now familiar route from Bishops Stortford, across Hertfordshire, through Ware, Hertford, Hatfield, St Ablans, Hemel Hempsted towards Berkhamsted.

Climbing the hill to Berkhamsted from Hemel, I get a call from Tim - taking the call while still riding - is that legal? Anyway, Tim decides to set off from Safron Walden about 9am and head west and hopefully we'll meet up later!

I'm not too sure I found the appropriate right hand turn out of Berkhamsted towards Ivinghoe, as the hill Rich described didn't appear to materialise! I think I went round the Ivinghoe Beacon rather than up it! Oh well - there was a nice long stead climb anyway - just not sure if it was the one Rich had planned!

After 60 miiles I get to Toddington and decide it's time for a rest. It's been quite tough going, heavy legs, and into a slight headwind all the way so far, but my average speed was still about 16.5 mph so I guess that's ok. I stop at a petrol for food, lucozade sport and a much needed toilet stop!

Back on the bike, out of Buckinghamshire, up to Amptill on the A507 in Bedfordshire. Turn right and head East - tail wind - yeah!

Tha A507 is a big, wide, good quality A road. Very fast, but cars give you loads of room! Somehow I'm doing something like 20-22mph for a good 15 miles, great fun! As I get towards Baldock, Tim texts me and we agree to meet up at the Tesco petrol station in Baldock. After a bit of a rest, stretch and chat, we head off on the final leg of my ride!

Out of Baldock, up the hill, Tim is much stronger than me, though I guess I had done 50 miles more at this point! Its good for my average speed though as it gets dragged up above 17mph. A nice ride through Buntingford and on the back roads to Puckeridge and Standon. Then cross country out of Standon and up a hill that I had only ever done the other way round before. A good gentle coast down into Much Hadham, and the back up the B1004 via the 1 in 8 up hill and the golf club beofore getting home!

107 miles, and no reaction from my knee! Very pleased, and home for 1pm. Things are starting to feel acheivable! I say goodbye to Tim as he heads back to Safron Waldon, and contemplate the fact there is now not much more I can do before the ride itself!

No comments: