Saturday 26 April 2008

Not quite as planned...

I've been exchanging e-mails with Tim about planned rides this weekend. Tim is not planning on doing a big ride on Saturday and is spending time with Josh at football. I'd suggested meeting in Saffron Walden about 10:30am (after Josh's football) to meet up for a ride, but as I set off at 7:30am I'm not totally sure Tim has agreed to meet up!

I head off south to Harlow, and along the A414 to Ware by 8:30am. On my way out of Ware the battery on my trip computer gives up and I have no idea of the speed I'm going or the distance I've travelled! Up the old A10, a good climb out of Wadesmill, and onto the A10 at Standon.

I feel more at home cycling on faster straighter roads than I do on the quieter B-roads, I think this is better preparation for the actual ride anyway! The miles seem to go by faster and the hills don't seem to be as steep!

At Buntingford I leave the A-roads behind and head off cross-country to Saffron Walden. I get a text from Tim saying he's not going to be able to meet up at 10:30 and that we should do our own thing. I decide to carry on with the route as planned and arrive in Saffron Walden bang on 10:30 having done about 45-50 miles in the 3 hours I've been out.

I was hoping to have Tim's local knowledge at this point and my map isn't detailed enough to get me out of Saffron walden on the right road. After a couple of miles going in the wrong direction I find a road that cuts across to the road I am supposed to be on! Out towards Radwinter, The Sampfords and Finchingfield, where I stop at the post office for more water. It's been a beautiful morning, but it's getting quite hot now as it approaches midday!

The Post Office doesn't take Switch cards so I have to leave the sandwich behind and make do with energy bars - they do get a bit sickly on long rides, I need proper food!

After a 20 min rest I head off to Great Dunmow with the stiffer breeze into my face than I had been expecting! Its a bit of a slog at this stage, but the villages I cycle through are lovely! From Dunmow I head home through Takeley, stopping to call Clare and tell her I'll be home in about half an hour...

Back home in time for lunch and an afternoon with the family after nearly 80 miles. Not a bad ride, but when I get stripped off for a shower I realise that the lower part of my legs and my face are bright pink, with lovely helmet strap line across my cheeks!

It's strange, but I didn't even think about suncream when I got up at 7am! Must remember to apply before going out now the weather is getting better and we must remember to take some in the van for the actual event!

I can't go out on a ride tomorrow becasue of a ballet show rehearsal, so I decide to take my bike to the bike shop for a much needed service! I'm really getting fed up of some of the annoying squeaks! I won't have the bike back till Thursday so my training will be limited till then!

No comments: