Sunday 10 February 2008

So what's the new bike like then?

Sun, 10 Feb 2008

The short answer is - I don't know yet! Having planned to go out with Tim at 6:30am this morning, I couldn't get my existing lights to fit on the new bike - arrrggghhh! So at about 11pm last night I finally admitted defeat and put the pedals back on the old bike ready for the ride in the morning!

Woke at 5:45am this morning - not much milk left, so toast & jam plus a banana before I left the house at 6:32am. I had arranged to meet Tim somewhere near Quendon on the old road to Cambridge from Bishop's Stortford, after about 7-8 miles I see a bright yellow jacket and single light heading towards me!

We head off the main road down the back roads to Clavering (the home of Jamie Oliver's parent's pub), and stop to look at the route I'd been given by my old boss from BT. Fortunately Tim knew most of the route, actually Tim knew the route too well - he knew a couple of diversions that had good hills. I think my definition of a good hill is different from Tim's!

Through some lovely villages, past some very old traditional pubs, munching Malt Loaf, sipping Zym, out towards Royston, where Tim points out that give or take a few meters we are at the highest point in Essex (just above sea level I think :-). Back towards Duxford passing a huge gro up of 60+ club cyclists, and then leaving Tim to finish off his ride as I head back down past Audley End, Newport, Ugley, Stansted and back to Stortford.

63.5 miles later, I'm back home, and feeling a lot happier about the prospect of the 70 mile team ride next week! Apparently we are going to the seaside!

Challenge for the week - to get out on the new bike! Probably need some more lights!

Oh! Nearly forgot, my 5 year old daughter, Amy, has just learnt to ride her bike without stabilisers - she's very pleased with herself, and I'm a very proud Dad! Maybe she will do LEJOG one day!

Total Miles for the week: 111.5 miles

No comments: