Wednesday 21 May 2008

Good news, I hope!

Having been hobbling around for a few days after the ride last Friday with a sore knee, I went to see the physio yesterday.

Apparently there is a large muscle joining my hip to my knee (?), I forget exactly which one! When this muscle gets tight it pulls on the knee and results in a twisted sensation and discomfort, which pretty much describes what I have been feeling.

After a deep massage of the muscle and some stretching (unfortunately the stretches I was shown I can't do myself!), my thigh felt a bit beaten up, but my knee felt looser - which is good! I can still feel a little discomfort, but the physio recommended that I continue training and have treatement in parallel with the training to keep loosening up the muscle.

I'm going to do a couple of rides before next Wednesday, but nothing too strenuous. And prectise quad stretched "on the bike".

After a ride I need to wrap ice around my knee for 10-15 mins. I should also rub ice in a circular motion over the muscle. After a warm shower after a ride I need to blast cold water on my legs alternating between legs for 30 seconds at a time - sound fun?

I feel more optomistic now, than I did last Friday, that I will now be able to make it to the starting line!

No comments: