Sunday 11 May 2008

Sunday sun and BBQs!

Agreed to start off about 7ish this morning and meet Tim between Stortford and Saffron Walden. Took the first few miles easy, and so did Tim. We decided to head out towards Dunmow, I suggest going out via Stansted Mountfitchet. There's a reasonably long climb out of Stansted towards the airport that I think surprised Tim a bit!

I could vaguely remember a road running parallel to the A120 that cut a bit of a corner, but after a trip around the airport service roads we realised I'd taken the wrong road. We tried the next road and ended up at the terminal building and had to carry bikes over a footbridge to find a way out of the airport complex - sorry Tim - no more "short cuts" I promise!

As we leave the airport we cut out Dunmow and head towards Thaxted, Tim swallows his first wee beastie of the summer - yuk!

A good pace back to Tim's house, where I leave him to take the boys to Rugby about 9:30am. Off towards Barley on the reverse of yesterdays route, and overtook a cyclist going up the hill towards Barkway. As I get to Hare St, Clare calls and asks if I want to go to a BBQ! I agree to get back for midday cutting my ride short a bit, but I still manage 73 miles in less than 5 hours with a couple of short stops.

Knees feel better - but still a bit sore.

Must remember to sort out new wheels!

No comments: